March 14, 2010

John Cale: "My Life in Music" in Uncut

Uncut April 2010

John Cale picks ten records that have made a mark in his career in the April Issue of UK magazine Uncut:

  1. All Night Workers - Why Don't You Smile
    The record that made me love Lou Reed
    "It's all "Louie, Louie" changes, and the first song that Lou and I wrote on drunken evening. It was the b-side of a single by friends of Lou's. It was my first rock 'n'roll session and the guys were all popping pills. It was my introduction to collaborative songwriting. It had a simple beauty that gave absolutely no indication of the problems we would have later."
  2. Frank Zappa - Thing-Fish
  3. Terry Riley - In C
  4. The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
  5. Yellow Swans - Dreamed
  6. John Cale - Sabotage/Live
    The record that makes me miss CBGB
    "We had a lot of fun, recording it there on New Year's Eve. It was dark and greasy. YOu went there to lose control. I retain affection for the place. Not for the $8 beers, bu t it was a centre, and everybody knew about it and gravitated towards it. And at the end, Hilly (Kristal, founder and owner) wanted it moved to Vegas. That is branding. If I was a brand, I'd move to Las Vegas."
  7. Martha Reeves and The Vandellas - Dancing in the Street
  8. Clips - Wamp Wamp (What It Do)
  9. Kokane - Back 2 tha Clap
  10. Smetana - Ma Vlast

» uncut.co.uk

Note: Sabotage/Live was recorded in June 1979. Part of the Even Cowgirls Get The Blues was recorded on New Year's Eve 1979.

(Thanks: Ken Clark, mailman & Gary Fox)

No comments:

Post a Comment