Dutch garage grunge rock Orange Maplewood like to play loud. Really loud. It makes sense for the first two tracks on their new EP Sorry (I Never Believed In A Rock 'N Roll Star) - the title track and Clock which are both short and snarling songs, but the icing on the cake is the lengthy lament Will Melody Be Mine?. This psych stoner rock excursion builds up slowly, before reaching a wash of call-and-response vocals a la early Golden Earring meets Oasis on top of a fuzz heavy twin guitar crescendo.
Kudos to mastering skills of engineer Patrick Haight (Spot On Sound Mastering), who created an in-your-face and well balanced sound. Let's hope that the Amsterdam band can afford his services again when they have finished recording their upcoming full-length.
Jordy Sanger: vocals, guitar
Robbi Meertens: vocals, guitar
Darek Mercks: vocals, bass
Duncan Daalmeijer: drums
- Sorry (I Never Believed In A Rock 'N Roll Star)
- Will Melody Be Mine?
- 04/01 Cinetol, Amsterdam (EP release show)
- 04/08 HMH (Weezer aftershow), Amsterdam
- 04/21 April feesten, Amsterdam
- 04/29 HPC, Den Haag
- 05/05 Bevrijdingspop, Zutphen
- 05/06 Poptrash Q-Factory, Amsterdam
- 05/13 Boothill Saloon, Amersfoort
- 06/03 Studio K, Amsterdam