Piano player Holly Bowling has launched a crowdfunding campaign on PledgeMusic for her album Better Left Unsung on which she reimagines the music of the Grateful Dead for solo piano. It's the follow-up for her acclaimed Distillation of a Dream: The Music of Phish Reimagined For Solo Piano.
I’m recording a solo piano album of the music of the Grateful Dead! It’s over two hours worth of music and has been a labor of love over the past year that I can’t wait to share with you all. It includes a solo piano “jam transcription” of one of my favorite versions of “Eyes Of The World”, from Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky, 6/18/74 as well as a a rendition of the entire Terrapin Station Suite.
I grew up listening to the Dead and their music has been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember, so this music is very close to my heart. It’s been an amazing process to explore this music that I’ve known and loved my entire life in a whole new light.
Better Left Unsung will be released as a 3LP set, 2CD and digitally. Watch her perform Eyes of the World as part of the JamBase Songs Of Their Own 50-day tribute series featuring a daily cover of a Grateful Dead song.Live dates:
- 08/14 San Francisco, CA @ Jerry Day Afterparty: A Dinner Benefit
- 08/24 Columbus, OH @ Joe Marcinek Band
- 08/25 St Charles, IL @ Joe Marcinek Band
- 08/27 Sherman, NY @ Night Lights Music Festival
- 08/31 Boulder, CO @ Owsley’s Golden Road
- 09/01 Denver, CO @ Quixote's True Blue
- 09/02 Denver, CO @ Quixote’s True Blue
- 09/03 Denver, CO @ Quixotes True Blue
- 09/07 Henrico, VA Tin Pan
- 09/08 Durham, NC @ The Shed
- 09/09 Charleston, SC @ The Charleston Music Hall
- 09/10 Columbia, SC @ The Music Farm
- 09/11 Asheville, NC @ The Gray Eagle
- 09/22 Blairsden, CA @ Lost Sierra Hoedown
- 10/13 Darlington, MD @ Lunalight Music and Arts Festival
- 10/22 New York, NY @ Brooklyn Comes Alive
HCTF review of Distillation of a Dream: The Music of Phish Reimagined For Solo Piano.