February 23, 2015

Cover Me: Make Up

photo: Eric Schuman

NYC singer Shilpa Ray takes on the Lou Reed classic Make Up:

I had an epiphany about “Make Up” (...) when I was in Palermo around Christmas time after the Bad Seeds tour. Lou had died late October. I found out 10 minutes before I had to play solo before a sold out crowd at the Hammersmith Apollo in London. Needless to say, his passing had a massive effect on me. He was my childhood hero. Europe was hard to grasp for me in a lot of ways. The culture, language barriers,the overload of dairy and ghettos of freshly placed refugees from countries, some I had never heard of before. I was exhausted and getting drunk outside a bar where you can get Marsala for a Euro, basically all I could afford. There were tons of kids dancing in the streets getting high and happy, when this stray yellow lab walked up to me and starts swaying back and forth. The song Make Up came blaring through the stereo and I started swaying with the dog. It was one of those rare moments I felt alright.

Make Up is released through Northern Spy Records.

» shilparay.net

(thru Aquarium Drunkard)

No comments:

Post a Comment