September 20, 2017

Tom Hagerman: crowdfunding campaign for new album "The 7 Deadly Sins"

DeVotchKa multi-instrumentalist Tom Hagerman has launched a Kickstarter campaign to cover the costs of recording his new album The 7 Deadly Sins with A Far Cry, a chamber orchestra from Boston.:

Hi, my name is Tom Hagerman and I guess I'm best known as 1/4 of the rock band, Devotchka. 2 years ago I was commissioned to write a piece of music based on the concept of the 7 Deadly Sins for the Denver based dance company, Wonderbound.

The 7 Deadly Sins as it was performed in September 2015 is essentially the story of a wedding-- if the characters were plucked out out of an episode of Seinfeld and placed in a play by Jean Paul Sartre.

For a while now, I've been tossing around the idea of making a record of the music which is an approximately hour long piece for string orchestra. I had originally looked at trying to corral the original players from the Colorado Symphony and augmenting the orchestra with friends of mine from the local string community until my funding fell through and I got busy with life, but a chance encounter with an old friend of mine last year has led me to the best possible route to making this recording happen.

My friend, Jae Cosmos Lee, is an amazing violinist and one of the founding members of an absolutely fantastic chamber orchestra out of Boston called "A Far Cry". Their musicianship, artistic integrity, and boundless energy are truly unmatched anywhere.

"A Far Cry" is currently about to embark on their 11th season as an ensemble. To get this caliber of ensemble in the studio for multiple days of recording sessions in Boston is a bit more than I can handle on my own right now. The plan is to do this recording in December and do all the post production during the next few months in which case the rough estimate would be that the final product would be delivered in the fall of 2018. About a year from now.

I've come up with some reward ideas for your help. Some are more obvious like Digital files, CD's and Vinyl records of the album. Others are live performances with a string quartet in your house or establishment. Music lessons for you or your kids? Well, I can't thank you all enough for reading this and for your help. Take care….

» Tom Hagerman on Facebook
» afarcry.org

No comments:

Post a Comment