November 27, 2017

I am Oak: Field Studies

Can you write a song in one day? I am Oak's Thijs Kuijken rose to the challenge after spending a day in the Hortus Botanicus in Amsterdam as one of the guests of visual artist Joost Stokhof's (aka The Things We Are) project I See Plants Shaking Hands. Kuijken recorded his track Field Studies that same evening:

Writing a song based on one day and one location was a peculiar challenge. Completely void of any expectations or set methods we did manage to reach a point in the evening where we were both busy working on processing our impressions of the day – Joost drawing away behind his desk and me in recording-mode on the other desk. I tried to make scraps of observations, conversations with Joost and discoveries we’d made together wandering through the gardens and green houses that day into a song

Field Studies is released thru Snowstar Records and it is one of the 4 tracks on the 7" single that comes with the I See Plants Shaking Hands book documenting Stokhof's artist-in-residence drawings.

Live dates:

» iamoak.com
» thethingsweare.com

HCTF review of Pictures of the Floating World

No comments:

Post a Comment